Monday, August 2, 2010

Romans 14:9-14 (NIV)

Romans 14:9-14 (NIV)
9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.
11 It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'"
12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

I have been told that wearing a beard is wrong.
I have been told that wearing short pants is wrong.
I have been told, at one time, that my hair was too long (it was over my ears).
I have been told that music with a beat is wrong.
I have been told that using any other version of the Bible other than the KJV is wrong.
I have been told that eating out on Sunday was wrong.

If you challenged these so-called wrongs you felt judged. In my circumstance I felt it because I was told that I was not pleasing the Lord. There is entirely too much judging going on in the church at large these days. We must remember who the Lord is and that we all report to Him. It is one of the most sobering thoughts that I have and that is I have to give an accounting of my life to the Lord Jesus Christ. What we must do is act out of love and not be a stumbling block to others. This is a very tricky statement. I think in the end we are not to force our views on others when it comes to disputable matters. Then the question comes, "What are the disputable matters?" Once the disputable matters are agreed upon it is still incumbent upon me to show love.

Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.

C. S. Lewis (1898–1963)

No comments:

Post a Comment