Friday, June 25, 2010

Romans 10:16-21 (NIV)

Let's roam.

Romans 10:16-21 (NIV)
16 But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our message?"
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did: "Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
19 Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says, "I will make you envious by those who are not a nation; I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding."
20 And Isaiah boldly says, "I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me."
21 But concerning Israel he says, "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people."

The message has to go out and that is job number one. After we do our part of getting out the message then our responsibility is almost done. We are not done if someone responds and they need more help to grow in their new found faith. However, if people do not respond we can do nothing for them except pray that God would open their hearts to His message. We have all felt the urge do something more, but in truth there is nothing we can do. Paul asks the question, "Did they (Israel) not hear?" and Paul answers with, "Of course they did." I think it is very important to read these verses carefully and see how they apply in your life and mission. I have seen people in Key West, Fla., Columbia, S.C., Sumter, S.C., Charlotte, N.C., Northbrook, Ill., Dallas, Texas, and in the Lake Country area who are so ready to hear the message and receive it that it blows my mind. The opposite has also been so true in all these places that people really don't want to have anything to do with Christ's message. In Isaiah we see where the Lord lets His people know that there will be a people that will believe and they don't have near the understanding of the Israelites. You can see why the Jews were so upset about this Gentile thing. The Gentiles didn't have a clue and now they are heading up the mission. Perhaps the saddest words in this passage are in verse 21 where we see God holding out His hand to the Jewish people who are disobedient and obstinate. Just because someone hears and has some degree of understanding does not mean they will respond to God and His message. There have been times in my life that I felt I let people down when they brought their friends to hear the Gospel to be presented by me and then nothing happened. I feel I have let down my own family, friends, etc., in my attempts to share my faith with them and then see no response. I think, to some degree, we have all felt that way at one time or another in our life. Yet, the Word of God is clear that we must present the Gospel in the clearest way possible and then leave the results with the Lord. For me that is easier said than done. Before I close did you get the irony of verse 20? God was found by those who did not seek Him. Go figure.

People say that it is so hard to bring Jesus Christ and present him before the lives of men today. Of course it is, it is so hard that it is impossible except by the power of the indwelling Holy Ghost.

Oswald Chambers (1874–1917)

No comments:

Post a Comment